Inclusive: No Benchwarmers, Every Finish Counts
Equality: no try-outs; everyone rides
Strong Body: lifelong fitness and good health start here
Strong Mind: NICA student-athletes are students first
Strong Character: work hard, play fair, respect others and the community
Minnesota League Mission Statement
The MN High School Cycling League works to establish and maintain safe, quality high school and middle school mountain bike programs. The MN League is responsible for establishing a climate that will:
- Provide students who have the desire to mountain bike with the coaching and camaraderie that will help them achieve both competitive and non-competitive cross-country mountain biking goals in a safe and enjoyable manner;
- Develop an awareness of what it is to be an amateur athlete that is both gracious and respectful to their community;
- Create an environment in which they may discover new friendships and find role models;
- Guide students towards learning new skills and disciplines, and spread the foundations of mountain bike racing across the U.S.;
- Foster a responsible attitude toward the use of trails and wilderness;
- Promote the value of cycling to our community as a mode of transportation and as a life long sport.
About the MN League
The Minnesota High School Cycling League was founded in 2012 with the mission of being inclusive, equal, building strong bodies, strong minds and strong charter through cycling. Simply put, we get kids on bikes. Student-athletes from 7th through 12th grade come from all corners of the state. The majority have never ridden a mountain bike, let alone raced prior to participating in the league.
We are a youth development program. Each year we get hundreds of new student-athletes, coaches, volunteers and spectators. We firmly believe that cycling and an outdoor experience will leave a lasting impression on young minds and bodies.
With the cooperation of local race organizers, our partners, and our sponsors we are able to provide a high quality mountain biking experience. We believe that mountain biking is the ‘T-Ball’ of cycling and several League alumni athletes are now racing on professional teams at events like the Tour of California, Sea Otter Classic and the Olympics.
For up to date news and info sign up for the SingleTrack Times Newsletter, or contact email@example.com and let us know how you’d like to get involved
Founded in 2009, the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) develops interscholastic mountain biking programs for student-athletes across the United States. NICA provides leadership, services and governance for local leagues to produce quality mountain bike events, and supports every student-athlete in the development of strong body, strong mind and strong character through their efforts on the bike.
The National Interscholastic Cycling Association (“NICA”) will develop interscholastic mountain biking coast-to-coast by 2020, as well as …
- Promote athlete skills development, excellence, teamwork, professionalism and respect for the community and the environment;
- Promote the sport of mountain biking and the benefits of mountain biking as a healthy, low impact, outdoor recreational lifestyle;
- Provide national leadership and governance through comprehensive policies, rules and guidelines to establish fair rules of play and codes of conduct;
- Provide comprehensive Coaches Training and Licensing program to establish and maintain national standards and best practices;
- Provide comprehensive risk management guidelines for mountain bike programming to establish and maintain national standards and best practices;
- Provide technical assistance and support for League formation, team formation, races, camps and special events;
- Provide successful models of League development, sustainable fiscal growth, and corporate and individual donor development;
- Advocate for the environmental conservation of natural areas and parklands, mountain bike trail access, and the development of sustainable trail systems.