Below are the guidelines for how the league will conduct races in the event of challenging weather. Our primary considerations are the safety of riders, support staff and spectators, and potential damage to the venue and trails.
Any decisions regarding canceling, postponing or altering race start times, lap lengths, number of laps, etc. will be made jointly by the league director, race director, operations director, chief referee and the land manager. Often this decision cannot be made until the morning of the race due to the unpredictable and rapidly changing nature of severe weather.
The league will make every attempt to notify the racing population as soon as possible via Rained Out Text Messaging, e-mail, social media and website updates.
- Races are held on their scheduled dates unless the race course on the day of the race is deemed un-rideable and/or dangerous.
- The league will have the option to alter the start of a race from its published times if the weather has created dangerous conditions.
- Courses and/or lap lengths may be altered or shortened because of weather conditions.
- Changes to race course and/or lap count will be announced at the pre-race coach meeting, if changes are known at that time.
- Last minute changes will be broadcast to racers at the start of each field via the staging and starting staff.
- All racing will stop immediately in the presence of lightning, as signified by the race director. Course marshals will direct racers off course where they can seek shelter in vehicles, trailers/RVs or buildings.
- Re-starting a race that has been stopped due to lightning or other emergency:
- Depending on schedule and number of laps completed, the race may be declared over.
- If time permits, racers will be able to resume laps beginning from the lap line.
- Race registration fees:
- If a race is cancelled due to weather conditions, fees will not be refunded.
The league understands that money is valuable and circumstances arise that can cause a change in plans. We want to work with you to put your money to good use wherever possible. We also forecast our race resource planning based on having a solid understanding of how many riders we are expecting. Based on these considerations we have adopted the following refund guidelines for all requests not directly related to weather (as noted above in the weather policy):
- The annual Membership Fee (season registration) pertains to a host of activities outside of racing and is not refundable once paid.
- The Race Package (registration for all races during the season) is refundable, minus a $10 fee, for any reason through August 1st. Beginning August 2nd the Race Package is not refundable.
- The Race Package may not be prorated based on the number of races an individual attends.
- Exceptions may be made for season-ending injuries or other medical reasons. A doctor’s note must be provided.
- The entry fee for individual race registration is refundable, minus a $10 fee, as long as we receive an email no later than the Friday before the race. If you prefer, we will transfer registration to another race later in the season with no fee as long as we receive an email no later than the Friday before the race.
- No refunds are given for canceled races. Please review the Weather Policy above.
- All requests for refund or transfer must be sent to the registration manager. Note, we typically cannot respond to emails on race weekend (Friday through Sunday); we will honor your request as long as the date and time stamp on your sent email meets the above guidelines.